Inkscape is an Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.
Inkscape supports many advanced SVG features (markers, clones, alpha blending, etc.) and great care is taken in designing a streamlined interface. It is very easy to edit nodes, perform complex path operations, trace bitmaps and much more. We also aim to maintain a thriving user and developer community by using open, community-oriented development.
- Object creation (pencil tool, pen tool, calligraphy tool rectangles, ellipses, stars/polygons, spirals, text tool, embedded bitmaps, clones)
- Object manipulation (Affine transformations, Z-order operations, Grouping objects, Layers, Copying and pasting objects, Alignment and distribution commands)
- Fill and stroke (Color selector, Color picker tool, Copy/paste style, A gradient editor capable of multi-stop gradients, Pattern fills, Dashed strokes, Path markers)
- Operations on paths (Node editing, Converting to path, Boolean operations, Path simplification, Path insetting and outsetting, Bitmap tracing)
- Text support (Multi-line text, Uses any installed outline fonts, including right-to-left scripts, Kerning, letter spacing, line spacing adjustments, Text on path, Text in shape)
- Rendering(Fully anti-aliased display, Alpha transparency support for display and PNG export, Complete "as you drag" rendering)
- Miscellaneous (Live watching and editing the document tree in the XML editor, Command line options for export and conversionsm, Perfectly compliant SVG format file generation and editing)
http://www.inkscape.org/ is the official website of Inkscape. Checkout the site for more details and documentation on Inkscape