DOSBox is a free sotware which simulates MS-DOS. It is intended especially for use with old computer games and programs.DOSBox does not rely on any Virtualization techniques it is a full CPU emulator, capable of running DOS programs that require the CPU to be in either real mode or protected mode.
Features of DOSBox
- DOSBox is even capable of emulating many types of audio and graphics hardware. Graphics emulation includes text mode, Hercules, CGA , Tandy, EGA, VGA, etc. Sound hardware that can be emulated includes the PC speaker, AdLib, Gravis Ultrasound,etc.
- Another advantage is, DOSBox can simulate peer to peer networking, this includes modem simulation over TCP/IP
- It's very simple and easy to use.
How to install DOSBox in Ubuntu
- Typing sudo apt-get install dosbox in your terminal will fetch you the dependency libraries and install DOSBox in a few moments.When the installation is completed you can type-in dosbox in your terminal to acces DOSBox.
- The official website of DOSBox is : http://www.dosbox.com/
- You can visit http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/ for the source forge entry of DOSBox
- Wikipedia Entry about DOSBox is located at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSBox